Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Picture Frames With Burlap

Framed Burlap for quickly changing photos


From North of the Boulevard~

I love displaying photographs of my family throughout my home. Finding new ways to do that can be fun. Last year I put together a staircase gallery wall that gives me a way to display lots of my favorites. Having three grandchildren means I have a lot of photos. I love that I can have digital copies of them, but I like having the actual photo of many of them as well. I wanted a spot that I could place updated photos that I could change frequently. The solution was to use open frames, giving me easy access to change the pictures. 
How I Made It

I started with three plain brown 5X7 frames that I picked up at a thrift store recently for .25 each. One coat of spray paint and they now match the colors of my sun room. I cut a piece of burlap to size and placed it in the back of the frame. Then I added a piece of card stock, cut to size behind the burlap.  I added the glass that came with the frames to the back to help make it sturdy. After that, I added the frame backing behind the glass.


I spray painted a mini clothes pin and attached it to the burlap with hot glue. These will hold the photos in place. 


It looked a little plain, so I looked around for way to embellish it. I have a drawer full of wooden craft letters. So, I selected the first initial of my grandchildren's names and painted them a creamy/tan color and hot glued them to the corner of each frame.


I still wasn't quite satisfied with them, so I added a small flower to the upper corner of each one. 


The flowers are made using a method of cutting a long strip of felt and then folding it in half length wise. Then, cut slits in the strip. After cutting the slits, just roll the strip.


 I placed a small amount of hot glue when I reached the end and cut a small piece of felt for the backing and glued that in place. I attached each flower to the frame using hot glue.


After adding the initial and the flower, I was happy with how they turned out. I have just the right spot for them between a window and a door in my sun room, all lined up vertically in a row. 


I think it will be fun to change the photos out often. I especially like the idea of having seasonal shots of each of them. My grandchildren are one, almost four and ten years old. With these open frames,  I can keep updated photos of each of them on display. 


What kinds of creative ways do you display your favorite photos?




Post shared on~

Think and Make Thursday Link Party
Merry Monday Link Party


Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At October 28, 2014 at 10:21 PM , Blogger Amanda Kolb said...

These frames are such a cute idea! I love how you can easily change out the photos as you wish. Thank you for sharing this project with us at the Merry Monday link party!

 
At October 29, 2014 at 9:16 AM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

Thank you, Amanda. I've been following along with your Merry Monday party for a few weeks and decided to jump in. So many great links are posted there. Thank you so much for stopping by here.

 

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting! We'd love to hear from you.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.acrosstheblvd.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service