Saturday, October 11, 2014

Upcycled Jars for Utensils



From North of the Boulevard~

I have a lot of coastal decor in my home and I wanted to add a little bit more to my kitchen counter. I decided a good way to do that would be to find something with coastal flair to hold my wooden utensils. I looked around in a few stores, but didn't find anything that really caught my eye. So, that meant it was time to make something myself. Once I decided on a DIY project, i just needed to figure out what I would use for it. The answer came in the form of marinara jars.


I was rinsing one out before tossing it into the recycle bin and I stopped to look at the shape and size of the jar. I thought it would be perfect for this. These are Bertolli sauce jars. I saved three jars pretty quickly because we use lots of marinara at my house. After thoroughly cleaning them, I gathered the supplies I would need.


Materials Needed~

3 Marinara jars
Yellow, Blue & Green Spray Paint
Twine
Sea Shells
Hot Glue

I already had all of the supplies needed for this, so the total cost at the the time I made them was zero. 

After cleaning the jars, I began by spray painting each of the jars a different color. It only took a few minutes for the paint to dry. Once they were dry, I wrapped a piece of twine around the neck of each jar and hot glued it in place.
Using just a small amount of hot glue, I glued a sea shell to the twine and then added a smaller shell to each one.






That's it. It took about fifteen minutes from start to finish. You can't beat that for a DIY project! 


These are just the right size to hold the wooden utensils. Since I use these daily, I love that they are now displayed in pretty containers on my counter top.


I'm saving up some more of the jars to paint them for the holidays. I think they'll look great with some sort of Christmas embellishment on them.

Have you done any upcycling of jars? I'd love to read about what you've used and how you repurposed something simple like this. 


Post shared on~

 Two Uses Tuesday

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At October 23, 2014 at 4:47 AM , Blogger Purfylle said...

These jars are such a grate shape, maybe I need to start looking at what I'm buying based on how awesome the jar is? I think they turned out great.

 
At October 23, 2014 at 9:52 AM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

Thank you. I find myself checking out the shapes of jars all the time. Just in case an idea for a project comes to mind! Thanks for stopping by!

 

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting! We'd love to hear from you.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.acrosstheblvd.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service