Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Glittered Reindeer Wall Art


Glittered Reindeer Wall Art

From South of the Boulevard~
(Gloria)

My Christmas decor matches the overall feel of my home by using lots of rustic/vintage pieces. I've discovered that my favorite style of home decor combines those two elements. For Christmas, I wanted to bring in a little glam to go along with the rustic. Nothing says glam like a project made with glitter! I decided to create three reindeer silhouettes with some sparkle.

Gathering supplies for this project meant a trip to Michael's and a Google search.

Materials Needed~ 
Reindeer Outline
Chalk 
Mat Board or poster board
Loose Glitter 
Mod Podge 
Gold Sharpie - not a paint pen just a regular bold sharpie 
Paint brush 
Frame 
How I Made It

I started with three 14 x 18  frames to go above my sofa. I wanted something Christmasy on the walls. After some brainstorming and Pinterest browsing, I fell in love with the glitter reindeer trend and this fit into my 'rustic glam Christmas' decor perfectly. 

I found some uncut mat board at Michale's that I cut into three equal pieces.

I then printed out a reindeer stencil I found on  clip art best onto 11x14 paper. 

After the ink dried I outlined the silhouette in chalk. I tried to put a lot of pressure on the paper as I outlined a thick line. 

Once the outline was done, I placed it face down on a piece of the mat board and pressed down and rubbed the entire outline with my hand. This created an erasable outline on the mat board.

After the outline was complete I filled in the silhouette with a gold sharpie, making sure to cover the entire image. 
Glittered Reindeer Wall Art

 The reindeer looked complete and would have been finished for someone who didn't want glitter but I wanted to step it up a notch for the holidays! I used two paint brushes, one large and one small to get to the detailed areas and covered the silhouette with Mod Podge. Once a section was covered, I sprinkled glitter over it and then shook it over a card board box to get rid of excess. I did this in small sections so that the Mod Podge wouldn't have a chance to dry.  After the entire reindeer was filled in with glitter I placed the board in frames. 
Glittered Reindeer Wall Art

I added a special touch to one of the reindeer and gave him a red nose just by adding Mod Podge over the gold glitter and sprinkling a little red glitter in an oval shape.
Glittered Reindeer Wall Art

This project makes a bold statement on my wall and the only significant cost was the frames. It was great that I have had these frames for a while and they have been just waiting on a project.
Glittered Reindeer Wall Art

Rustic Glam is what I'm calling my decor this year. Do you have a particular style for your holiday decor?

Post shared on~
Your Turn To Shine
Wildly Original
Pinworthy Projects
Home Matters (featured at Home Matters Party #17)
Show Me Saturday
Celebrate It
Make It Monday
Merry Monday (featured by My Pinterventions)
Get Your DIY On
The Southern Special (featured at The Southern Special Party #37)
Two Uses Tuesday
Teach Me Tuesday
Party in Your PJs
Pure Blog Love
Brag About It
FEATURED ON


Featured at Home Matters Linky Party          My Pinterventures       

The Southern Special Host Collage 4
 The Southern Special #37

Labels: , ,

23 Comments:

At December 4, 2014 at 9:25 PM , Blogger Kara Schwieterman said...

I love these! They are so cute!!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/567410580059181/

 
At December 5, 2014 at 10:40 AM , Blogger Gloria Fann said...

Thanks so much! Glad you liked them!

 
At December 7, 2014 at 2:19 PM , Anonymous Amy | Canary Street Crafts said...

Too cute!! I love that you gave one a red nose!

 
At December 8, 2014 at 10:21 AM , Blogger Bonnie H said...

These glitter deer are awesome! Thanks for linking up at the Home Matters Linky!
~Bonnie

 
At December 8, 2014 at 1:48 PM , Anonymous Jamie | anderson + grant said...

These are great! Such an easy and inexpensive way to spread the holiday cheer across the walls. Thanks for linking up at Your Turn to Shine this week!

 
At December 8, 2014 at 3:31 PM , Blogger Lindsay Eidahl said...

Love these sparkly reindeer! Thanks for sharing on Show Me Saturday!

 
At December 8, 2014 at 8:52 PM , Blogger Etcetorize said...

My favourite part of Christmas is all the glitter. Love all your reindeer:) Thanks so much for sharing at the Make it Monday Party! Hope to see you again next week.

 
At December 9, 2014 at 3:24 PM , Blogger Laurie said...

These are truly wonderful. Thank you for sharing!

 
At December 9, 2014 at 4:11 PM , Blogger Gloria Fann said...

Thanks! I thought it helped make it more festive!

 
At December 9, 2014 at 4:12 PM , Blogger Gloria Fann said...

Thank you!

 
At December 9, 2014 at 4:33 PM , Blogger Gloria Fann said...

Thank you!

 
At December 9, 2014 at 4:34 PM , Blogger Gloria Fann said...

I'm not huge on glitter until it's Christmas season then I want it everywhere! Glad you like it!

 
At December 9, 2014 at 4:34 PM , Blogger Gloria Fann said...

Thank you!

 
At December 9, 2014 at 4:35 PM , Blogger Gloria Fann said...

Thanks you!

 
At December 9, 2014 at 5:46 PM , Blogger Purfylle said...

Having just read your picmokeny/Rudolf post I want to do all the reindeer like this with their names underneath and your printable of course for Mr Red Nose.

 
At December 9, 2014 at 9:09 PM , Blogger Sharon @ Blue Willow House said...

I am in love with your glam reindeer and want some of my own. Thank you for sharing at The Southern Special.

 
At December 11, 2014 at 8:16 PM , Blogger Rachel Beach said...

The red nose is a great touch! I bet they look beautiful when they sparkle from the christmas lights. Thanks for sharing on Merry Monday!

 
At December 12, 2014 at 12:46 AM , Blogger Lorelai @ Life With Lorelai said...

Congratulations, Gloria & Beverly! Your Glittered Reindeer Wall Art post was chosen as a Featured Post over at the Home Matters Linky Party #17! Thanks for sharing your amazing DIY project. #HomeMatters

~Lorelai
Life With Lorelai

 
At December 12, 2014 at 9:40 AM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

I know Gloria will be excited to see this! Thanks so much Lorelai!

 
At December 14, 2014 at 12:34 PM , Blogger Sharon @ Blue Willow House said...

Your glam reindeer will be featured this week on The Southern Special.

 
At December 15, 2014 at 8:34 AM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

How nice. Thank you! Gloria will be so pleased that you all enjoyed her project!

 
At December 21, 2014 at 11:21 AM , Blogger Mandy Hank said...

What a great Christmas decor to add to your room- love it!! Thank you so much for linking up to Get Your DIY On! We were so happy to have you and hope you'll link up next month with your Organization Project!

Mandy @ The Hankful House

 
At December 22, 2014 at 10:08 AM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

We were happy to share! Thanks for hosting. Can't wait to see all the great posts for next month.

 

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting! We'd love to hear from you.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.acrosstheblvd.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service