Thursday, February 12, 2015

A Little Bit About Charleston's Charm & Mod Podge Coasters


From North of the Boulevard~

Charleston, SC is one of the most beautiful cities in the country. Living here for the past 10 years has given me an appreciation of just how lovely this historic city truly is. I've got touches of Charleston throughout my home, including these coasters I made using a set of note cards that depict a number of the landmarks around town. Mod Podge, tiles, felt and the note cards are all I needed for this project.

The Historic Charleston Foundation sells a set of Charleston Sketches Note Cards  at various stores in town with lovely black and white sketches of places of interest in Charleston. I  purchased a set and decided to use some of them to make coasters.  While making coasters using Mod Podge is nothing new, I love that these show off a little bit of Charleston's charm. 

Mod Podge Charleston Coasters

I'm guessing your city has some charm of its own and you can probably find post cards, note cards, a map or even a travel brochure. I recently saw a post on Mom's Favorite Stuff in which she shows how she uses travel brochures for coasters. Seeing that post is what reminded me to do this post about my note card coasters. 

Materials Needed
  • Tiles
  • Mod Podge~ I used Classic Glossy
  • Mod Podge Acrylic Spray Sealer
  • Scissors
  • Note Cards
  • Felt
Directions
  • Cut Note Cards to fit the tile
  • Cut felt into squares for backing to fit the tile
  • Apply a coat of Mod Podge to the tile with sponge brush
  • Place note card on tile and smooth it out. I used a putty spreader
  • Apply a coat of Mod Podge over the note card and smooth out any bubbles
  • Allow to dry
  • Repeat with a second coat and allow it to dry
  • Apply Mod Podge Spray Sealer 
  • Apply Mod Podge to the back of tile and attach felt square
*Note- The note cards I used were not large enough to cover the entire tile, so there is a border to them on the tiles. I wasn't sure if this would cause any problems,  but I'm happy to say it didn't. 

These are two of my favorites. One is St Michael's Episcopal Church which is the oldest religious structure in Charleston. It was built in the 1750s.  The one in the back is St Philip's Episcopal. It was built in 1836. Both of these are featured on just about any walking tour or carriage tour in Charleston.


Mod Podge Charleston Coasters

Many of the historic homes and plantations in Charleston are open for tours through one of several touring companies in town. 

Mod Podge Charleston Coasters


Mod Podge Charleston Coasters

Using Mod Podge is the key to making these coasters functional. I use one of them every day and coffee spills can be washed away easily with a damp cloth. All of these have been used and I made them about three years ago and they still look great. Yay for Mod Podge!

Mod Podge Charleston Coasters

If you would like to learn a little about historic Charleston, I recommend Explore Charleston. For tons of information about things to do in Charleston, visit Charleston.com

While I'm talking about the charm of Charleston, I can't forget to mention the beautiful plantations and gardens found here. Many of them are popular wedding venues. Gloria and Matthew had their wedding at gorgeous Magnolia Plantation in 2012. This is one of the lovely spots there. 

Photo Credit Chris and Cami Photography -The best photographers in Charleston!

Magnolia Gardens Chris and Cami Photography

Charleston is, in my opinion, the jewel of South Carolina, maybe even of the entire south. If you've never visited, you should! It's a diverse city with many facets. There is some sort of festival taking place just about every month here in addition to all of the historic beauty the city offers. Restaurants here get rave reviews. From BBQ to Shrimp and Grits to Fine Dining with southern flair, you'll find something you'll love to eat here!  Oh, and don't forget the beaches! 

Now, that I've raved about Charleston, I'd love to know how you display the charm and uniqueness of your city in your home. 


Labels: , , , ,

17 Comments:

At February 12, 2015 at 9:10 PM , Blogger Laurie said...

Beverly, love the tiles! I've always wanted to visit SC. Thanks for spotlighting your beautiful city. And the wedding photo is simply gorgeous!

 
At February 12, 2015 at 9:31 PM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

Thank you, Laurie. They are super easy to make and showing off a little bit of the city with them is a fun little piece of decor. I'm delighted you enjoyed the Charleston info. It's a great city to visit and even better to live in. The photographer does amazing work, all over the country. We are fortunate that he lives in Charleston and is a family friend, too. Worked out great and Gloria has some awesome wedding photos.

 
At February 16, 2015 at 11:03 AM , Blogger Angie Forte said...

These are beautiful! I love Charleston too. Thanks for sharing this beautiful but easy craft on Something To Talk About Link Party!

 
At February 16, 2015 at 2:42 PM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

Thank you. Charleston is a great city! I was happy to have found the Something To Talk About Party.Thank you for coming by.

 
At February 18, 2015 at 8:18 PM , Blogger Ashley @ 3 Little Greenwoods said...

Hey Beverly!

I'm a SC girl too and love Charleson! These coasters are so awesome and would make great gifts!

Thanks so much for sharing on Show Me Saturday!

 
At February 19, 2015 at 6:48 AM , Blogger Sarah Ramberg said...

Woot, woot, another South Carolina resident here! I'm in Greenville, but I love Charleston, too!! In fact, Carmody from Paper & Fox is moving to Charleston, so you'll need to welcome a new awesome blogger to your town. :) Love these coasters!! Thanks for linking up to Snickerdoodle Sunday!

Sarah (Sadie Seasongoods)

 
At February 19, 2015 at 6:49 AM , Blogger Sarah Ramberg said...

Ashley, I didn't know you were in SC! I'm in Greenville!

Sarah (Sadie Seasongoods)

 
At February 19, 2015 at 10:46 AM , Blogger Danni@SiloHillFarm said...

Oh I would love to visit Charleston sometime. It's on my list! Those coasters are so cute and easier than I thought. Thanks for the tutorial and thanks for visiting some of the posts on my blog.

 
At February 19, 2015 at 5:06 PM , Anonymous Coco said...

These are so beautiful! I've never tried to make coasters before but this definitely makes me want to give it a go. Charleston is gorgeous, you a lucky lady!

 
At February 19, 2015 at 5:51 PM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

Thank you, Ashley! I'm happy to share on Show Me Saturday. There is a lot to love about Charleston. I've been here a little over ten years and I find more to love about it all the time.

 
At February 19, 2015 at 5:57 PM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

It will soon be a SC Party here! You know, I don't think I've ever met anyone who has visited or lived in Charleston that didn't love it. Thank you. Always happy to link up with Snickerdoodle Sunday! I'll stop by Paper and Fox and welcome here to town.

 
At February 19, 2015 at 5:58 PM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

It's definitely a trip worth making! Thank you about the coasters, they really are easy to make. Happy to visit your blog. Delighted that you're sharing on the Spring Craft Blog Hop!

 
At February 19, 2015 at 5:59 PM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

Thank you, Coco. It's not difficult at all to make them. I've found that using heavier paper or card stock works better than thinner paper. I have to agree-I am lucky to live here!

 
At February 25, 2015 at 9:39 AM , Blogger Laurie said...

Beverly, I know I already commented, but I wanted to thank you for linking up to the Brag About It link party! I'm going to help Megin by co-hosting this link party. A lot of work, but so fun. :)

 
At February 25, 2015 at 10:57 AM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

Oh, that's awesome, Laurie! I hope you have lots of fun with it!

 
At March 14, 2015 at 4:46 PM , Anonymous Linda@MixedKreations said...

Your coaster are beautiful! I love the historical charm of Charleston. I've been there once years ago. It is beautiful, would love to live in South Carolina. I've been wanting to make some tile coasters but have been wondering how well they hold up if they get wet from a sweating glass. I haven't ever test Mod Podge with water. Thanks for sharing, they are beautiful!

 
At March 15, 2015 at 10:35 AM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

I have to agree with you about Charleston! It is a lovely city. These coasters are easy to make and I've been very pleased with how they have held up. Thank you very much!

 

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting! We'd love to hear from you.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.acrosstheblvd.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service