Tuesday, February 24, 2015

A Small Change Makes a Big Difference

Reupholstered Small Bench

From North of the Boulevard~

I don't lay any claims to being talented when it comes to redoing old furniture. I admire those who have skills to take an old discarded item and turn it into something beautiful. I've got a few pieces that I know are in some serious need of a make over.  This little bench was one of those pieces. It's gone from being tucked away in an out of the way place in my bedroom to a prominent spot in my foyer. It's amazing what a little furniture scratch remover and new upholstery can do for a tired, old, ugly piece of furniture! 

This little bench was given to me by my mother several years ago. It's something she found at one of those "antique" malls where various vendors have booths set up. While sometimes an antique or two can be found, usually what you'll find is just old furniture in need of some attention, like this bench.

Small Old Bench Needs Makeover

The frame of this little bench is just fine. It has nice legs and it's surprisingly sturdy. But have a look at that fabric! She bought it for me because our master bedroom is done in a southwest decor and she thought it would match. Not so much. I've had it in a corner for a while with a throw rolled up and placed on top of it. I kept telling myself that I really needed to do something with it. I just wasn't sure what. I really have no need for it in the bedroom. It's just taking up space. 

This weekend, I finally figured out what I wanted to do with it.  I'm a once in the house, the shoes come off kind of person. As I was leaning against the wall, balancing to take off my boots, I said to my husband, "I really need a little bench near this closet." Oh! So it only took me a few years to realize I have the perfect size little bench just waiting to be used.

This piece was simple to reupholster. The cushion is on a separate frame than the bench itself. It just sits inside of the bench frame. After removing it and cleaning the metal brackets and bolts, I pulled the staples out of the cushion to remove the fabric. Good bye, ugly velour. 

Reupholstered Small Bench

The padding was in really good condition. I don't know what I was expecting to find beneath the fabric, but I was pleasantly surprised. I didn't see any reason to replace it. I sprayed some Febreze Antimicrobial Spray on the padding and let it sit for a little while. 

A few years ago, I reupholstered my dining room chairs. At the time, I bought extra fabric and that's what I decided to use for this bench. The dining room is just off the foyer, so it makes sense to me to use the same fabric. 

Lyre Back Chair Reupholstered

Before getting started on the cushion, I used some Old English Scratch Cover on the bench. It already had the color stain I wanted. It just needed to have some shine brought back to it.

When placing the fabric over the padding and frame, I made sure to pull it tautly. I started by stapling in the middle on all four sides. Then, I added staples all the way around the frame, folding the corner pieces as I would if wrapping a present.  


Reupholstered Small Bench

I popped it back into the bench frame and was done. It fits perfectly between the closet door and the bathroom door. I'm happy with it and I'm wondering why it took me so long to do this simple change.


Reupholstered Small Bench

It fits right in.

Reupholstered Small Bench


Do you have some old pieces that need just a little attention to make them pretty? I bet most of us do!

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

At February 24, 2015 at 3:30 PM , Blogger Dee M said...

Great job, Beverly! I love the new fabric much better -- very pretty! :)

 
At February 24, 2015 at 8:25 PM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

Thanks so much, Dee.The original fabric was pretty ugly! I'm glad I finally got around to changing it!

 
At February 24, 2015 at 8:28 PM , Blogger Laurie said...

What a great use for that cute little bench. Amazing what a difference a change of fabric and a little 'tlc' will do! By the way, your foyer flowers are gorgeous! Beautiful pictures too!

 
At February 24, 2015 at 9:18 PM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

Thanks, Laurie! It really is amazing. To think it's been sitting in a corner for years just waiting! Thank you, too about the flowers and pictures. The flowers are real touch magnolia blossoms. We used them for decor at Gloria's wedding and I now have them in a couple of places. I love them.

 
At February 25, 2015 at 2:34 AM , Blogger Rachel Beach said...

Love your story of how the bench came to be where it is now. Those little lightening bolt moments are so great! Especially if it involves things you already have on hand.

 
At February 25, 2015 at 2:34 AM , Blogger Rachel Beach said...

Love your story of how the bench came to be where it is now. Those little lightening bolt moments are so great! Especially if it involves things you already have on hand.

 
At February 25, 2015 at 9:39 AM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

Thank you, Rachel. I looked over the post and thought it was a little too wordy for such a simple project, so it makes me smile to know you enjoyed the back story! Some of the best projects can come from those aha moments! Thanks for coming by!

 
At February 28, 2015 at 7:22 AM , Blogger The Crowned Goat said...

What a great update for this bench! It's so pretty and it looks like you found the perfect spot for it too. Great job! Coco

 
At February 28, 2015 at 11:59 AM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

Thanks! I'm very happy with how it turned out. Thanks so much for coming by.

 

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting! We'd love to hear from you.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.acrosstheblvd.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service