Friday, February 20, 2015

Silk Flowers for the Spring

Silk flowers

From North of the Boulevard~

I'm on a flower making kick lately! After making some spring spoon flowers, I wanted to add some other flowers to my spring time decor. I wanted something soft and pretty and making silk flowers fit that bill perfectly. Like all of my DIY crafts, these are easy to make! Following the method of using a candle, these flowers turn out so pretty. 


I first made these for Gloria's wedding. We used them as part of the tablescape decor during the reception.  I posted about those here. 

As I was making some new ones recently, I changed the process a little and wanted to do this update with more details.

Materials Needed:
  • Silky fabric
  • Hot glue
  • Scissors
  • Center embellishment
  • Candle & Lighter

Begin by cutting circles from the fabric. Cut them in various sizes from large to small, depending on how large you want to make your flower.

Light the candle and hold one circle at a time over the flame. Be careful to avoid having the flame touch the candle. If that happens, you can just snip off that part and hold it over the candle again. Rotate the circle over the flame.

silk flowers using candle

As you hold the fabric over the flame, it will begin to curl. Once you're satisfied with the size and curl remove it from the flame. Repeat this with all of the fabric circles. Some colors, like this purple will darken around the edges.

silk flowers

Place the largest circle with the curled side facing you and add a tiny drop of hot glue. When I first made these, I ran thread through them from the bottom one, but this time, I asked myself why I did it that way when hot glue will work just as well and it's easier. 
Press the next size circle on top of the glue. Repeat this with the other circles.

silk flowers

For the center embellishment, I've used pearl head pins or pearl buttons. For these I decided to use cotton fabric scrap rolled flowers. To make those, cut a long strip of fabric, fold the top of it in half lengthwise and then roll and twist until you reach the end. Glue the end piece to the back of the flower. For this size my fabric strip was 20 inches long and two inches wide.


rolled fabric flower

 Glue the center piece in place.

silk flowers

For white flowers, I used some pink floral cotton fabric scraps and a pearl head pin. Notice on the white fabric, the edges don't darken.

silk flowers

There are lots of ways to use these. I have them sitting in a sweet grass basket. I've used them for wall decor by placing them on a lace covered painted canvas. Some of mine fill a milk glass dish. I've used them on wreaths and to embellish frames.  Add a barrette clip to the back and you've got a hair clip. 

silk flowers

Have you tried making these this way? 


I'm sharing these on the Spring Craft Blog Hop. We would love to have you join us for #SCBH2015. Please add your creations to the party! We'll be sharing on Social Media and on our Pinterest board for the hop. We'll also post our Weekend Favorites, highlighting some of your fabulous creations. Make sure to check out the wonderful crafts from all of the hosts! 


Labels: , , ,

14 Comments:

At February 20, 2015 at 12:37 PM , Blogger Renee Cheatham said...

What a beautiful way to add some softness and elegance to your spring décor! I can see how these would be the perfect centerpiece décor for a wedding, just lovely!

 
At February 20, 2015 at 4:09 PM , Blogger Ashley @ 3 Little Greenwoods said...

I love creating fabric flowers! Thanks so much for the inspiration!

 
At February 20, 2015 at 4:41 PM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

Thank you, Renee! I love how these look and they are so easy to make that I get a little carried away with making them! They were pretty when we used them as part of the tablescapes for Gloria's wedding. Thanks so much for coming by.

 
At February 20, 2015 at 4:44 PM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

Me, too! I loved the heart you made with rolled fabric flowers. There are so many ways to use them in decor. Thanks for stopping by!

 
At February 20, 2015 at 4:49 PM , Blogger Laurie said...

Aw, these are very lovely. I will be having a wedding coming up with my oldest daughter soon and I want to show her this as an option. Thank you so much for sharing!

 
At February 20, 2015 at 5:31 PM , Blogger Jamie Tomkins said...

Wow, that is so cool - I thought at first that you had to sew each of those and you just did it by melting...that's amazing!! #SCBH2015

 
At February 20, 2015 at 8:03 PM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

Thank you, Laurie. Wedding planning is both stressful and fun for the mother of the bride. Gloria and I did a ton of DIY projects for the decor.

 
At February 20, 2015 at 8:03 PM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

Ha. I am all about no sew projects! Thank you!

 
At February 21, 2015 at 2:17 PM , Blogger Danni@SiloHillFarm said...

How pretty and perfect for thinking of spring!

 
At February 21, 2015 at 5:40 PM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

Thanks, Dani. I think everyone wants to hurry spring along this year!

 
At February 23, 2015 at 2:24 PM , Blogger Lorelai @ Life With Lorelai said...

These are amazing! What a great idea and fun too. So many things you could do with these beauties for Spring decorating. Thanks for sharing at the #HomeMattersParty - we hope to see you again next week. :)

~Lorelai
Life With Lorelai

 
At February 23, 2015 at 7:58 PM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

Thank you, Lorelai. Yes, lots of uses for these. Happy to share on #HomeMattersParty. Thanks for coming by!

 
At February 25, 2015 at 4:36 PM , Blogger Julia Nyanyo said...

Oh my, they are lovely. You make it look dead easy too. Pinning for sure, I never know when I might what to give this a try!

 
At February 25, 2015 at 9:22 PM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

Hi Julia, thank you! They really are very easy to make. Hope you enjoy making some. Thanks for stopping by!

 

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting! We'd love to hear from you.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.acrosstheblvd.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service