Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Spoon Flowers for the Spring

Plastic Spoon Flowers

From North of the Boulevard~

Using plastic spoons for crafts is nothing new, but it's something that I hadn't done, so I thought I'd give it a try. Making flowers seemed like a good  first time spoon craft for me. They are easy to put together and I've got several ideas in mind for using them in my spring time decor.
We are happy to continue to participate in the Spring Craft Blog Hop. We're looking forward to seeing your St. Patrick's Day, Palm Sunday and General Spring Crafts. To start things off for us, I wanted to make something bright and cheerful. 

Materials Needed:
  • Plastic Spoons
  • Lighter
  • Hot Glue
  • Scissors
  • Backing
  • Pom Pom or felt flower 
I searched Pinterest and found about several methods for making these and how to get the spoons broken apart. One included heating a knife over an open flame on a gas stove top and the slicing through the plastic. I don't have a gas stove, so that was out. I suppose it works, but it's not for me.

Breaking them apart isn't the easiest thing to do. They can snap and come off with jagged edges. I checked Laurie's (My Husband Has Too Many Hobbies) method for her lovely Spoon Trees and found that she cut them apart. I tired this for a few and decided it wasn't working for me. I had spoon parts flying over my desk and still got jagged edges. 

I might be making this more difficult than it needs to be, but, after thinking about it for a bit, I decided that I would use a lighter to soften the plastic and then use scissors to cut the spoon apart.

Spoon Flowers

Hold the spoon above the flame of the lighter, making sure that the flame does not touch the spoon. It only takes about 10 seconds and the plastic will soften and the spoon  will bend on its on. Then scissors just glide right through it.

Spoon Flowers

Once it's bent, use scissors to snip the handle off, leaving you with what will become a petal for the flower. 

Spoon Flowers

I used a small paper doily as a backing for these. Find the center point of the doily and use hot glue to place a petal in place. Continue adding petals, spacing them as close as you would like. The closer they are placed, the more petals you'll have, giving you a large or small flower. 

Spoon Flowers

I made some using five spoons and some using six. 

Spoon Flowers

To fill the center, I hot glued a small pom pom.



Some are made using six petals. I love this color.



 Using an assortment of colors for the centers makes them fun.

Flowers made of plastic spoons

These are just singing springtime to me. 

Flowers made of plastic spoons

I'm thinking of using some of these on a wreath, some in a basket and for some, I'll be adding a magnet to the back and putting them on the fridge. 

Have you made these? What uses would you have for them?


We would love to have you join us for the Spring Craft Blog Hop #SCBH2015. Please add your creations to the party! We'll be sharing on Social Media and on our Pinterest board for the hop. We'll also post our Weekend Favorites, highlighting some of your fabulous creations. Make sure to check out the wonderful crafts from all of the hosts! 

 photo Spring-Craft-Blog-Hop-Series-200.jpg
                                                         
Shared On~

Spring Craft Blog Hop
Snickerdoodle Sunday
Retro Re-Pin
Worthwhile Wednesdays


Featured On


Meatloaf and Melodrama

Labels: , ,

28 Comments:

At February 18, 2015 at 5:18 AM , Blogger Erlene A said...

How cute! These would look great scattered on a wall for some spring decor.

 
At February 18, 2015 at 7:45 AM , Blogger Christie Selken said...

This is such a fabulous idea! I love this original idea to make flowers out of spoons. I'm so glad to be co-hosting the Spring Blog Hop along with you! :)

 
At February 18, 2015 at 8:12 AM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

Thanks, Erlene! That's a fun idea for these.

 
At February 18, 2015 at 8:14 AM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

Thanks! I'm all about fun and easy crafts around here! Happy to see you co-hosting!

 
At February 18, 2015 at 9:14 AM , Blogger Laurie said...

Simply wonderful! Love the spoon flowers!! Nothing says spring like some colorful fun flowers. :)

 
At February 18, 2015 at 11:11 AM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

Thanks, Laurie.! I love the pops of color, too.

 
At February 18, 2015 at 12:13 PM , Blogger JBArts said...

these are so cute! I think using them as wall decor would be fun in a kids room! add a magnet to the back and then put thumbtacks in the wall and the kids could decorate their rooms with them! So glad to be a part of the wonderful hosts!
Jess @liverandomlysimple

 
At February 18, 2015 at 12:22 PM , Blogger Jamie Tomkins said...

Those are beautiful!! I could even see putting some candles on them for table decor!! Love it! #SCBH2015

 
At February 18, 2015 at 1:02 PM , Blogger Amanda Kolb said...

These are so cute and creative. I think they would make a beautiful wreath!

 
At February 18, 2015 at 6:57 PM , Anonymous Emily, Our house now a home said...

This is so cute! I never would have thought of doing this at all, such a great idea. I saw them in the blog hop and assumed they were ceramic flowers or something. These look adorable.

 
At February 18, 2015 at 8:10 PM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

Thanks, Jess! That's a fun idea. Glad you're a part of the Blog Hop!

 
At February 18, 2015 at 8:12 PM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

Thank you, Jamie. There are lots of uses for them! I love reading these ideas!

 
At February 18, 2015 at 8:13 PM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

I'm working on a wreath with some of them now. I think it's going to turn out pretty cute. Thanks for coming by, Amanda.

 
At February 18, 2015 at 8:16 PM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

Thanks! They were fun to make and I even think kids could help as far as picking out the pom pom color and placing it on and deciding how to use them. At a distance, they could look like ceramic flowers! Maybe my neighbors will think so when I put them on a wreath on my door!

 
At February 18, 2015 at 8:28 PM , Blogger Laurie said...

Beverly, I've been enjoying following the feed of comments on your post! So many creative ideas for your flowers! Can't wait to see your wreath!

 
At February 19, 2015 at 6:08 PM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

I know! It's great to hear what others might do with these little flowers! I keep changing my mind about what I want on the wreath other than the flowers. It's a work in progress though!

 
At February 20, 2015 at 10:39 PM , Blogger Rachel Beach said...

So cute! I think I would use them on a frame or a wreath or just put a bouquet in a nice vase. Visiting and sharing from #SCBH2015. Glad to be hosting with you.

 
At February 21, 2015 at 9:58 AM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

Thanks, Rachel! I love all of those ideas. I'm happy to be a part of this with so many amazing bloggers.

 
At February 22, 2015 at 9:45 AM , Blogger Sarah Ramberg said...

Very, very cute! Love the bright colors. Thanks so much for linking up to Snickerdoodle Sunday- I love to see everyone's latest makes!!

Sarah (Sadie Seasongoods)

 
At February 22, 2015 at 5:28 PM , Blogger Crochet Hooks said...

so cute and how fun! I don't know but I keep seeing an Easter Egg in the middle! I am going to make a few of these for the grands to add their dyed eggs :) Thanks for sharing!

 
At February 23, 2015 at 7:52 PM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

Thanks, Sarah. It's always fun to link up with Snickerdoodle Sunday. Thanks for coming by!

 
At February 23, 2015 at 7:53 PM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

Thanks! That's a fun idea for a way to use these. Hope they have some fun with theme. Always happy to share. Thank you for hosting and for stopping by!

 
At February 25, 2015 at 12:46 AM , Blogger Dee M said...

These are adorable, Beverly! You come up with the sweetest crafts! :)

 
At February 25, 2015 at 9:42 AM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

Aw, thanks, Dee! I've been so pleasantly surprised by how well these seem to have been liked. I posted this on Hometalk and they shared it on their Facebook page. It's by far, the most seen craft I've posted. Goes to show you can never know what's going to be a hit or a miss, I guess.

 
At March 9, 2015 at 11:54 PM , Blogger Lacey Charrene said...

These are adorable. I love them! So ready for spring weather. Saw you on the 2015 Spring Craft Blog Hop

 
At March 11, 2015 at 10:23 AM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

Thank you, Lacey. I'm hoping spring is here at last! Thank you for coming by.

 
At March 15, 2015 at 10:22 PM , Blogger Suzie Jackson said...

O my gosh thats to stinking CUTE! Happy to find your awesome post at the link up!

 
At March 16, 2015 at 9:12 AM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

Thanks, Suzie! Thanks so much for visiting!

 

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting! We'd love to hear from you.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.acrosstheblvd.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service