Saturday, March 7, 2015

Sand Dollar Candle Holder

Sand Dollar Candle Holder   Across the Blvd

From North of the Boulevard~

I recently saw a beautiful candle holder made using sea shells posted on Hometalk. Given my love for all things beachy, I had to check it out. The more I saw, the more I loved the idea. Emily at Table and Hearth gives a great tutorial on how she makes candle holders using oyster shells. She's also made them from barnacles and scallops. All of them are lovely. 

For the tutorial on how to make these, please visit  Emily at Table and Hearth because even though I used a different type of shell, my project was totally inspired by her post. You really need to see how pretty her oyster candle holder is! 

I mentioned to her that I wanted to give her method a try using a collection of sand dollars I have.

Materials Used:

  • Sand Dollars
  • Styrofoam Ball
  • Hot Glue
  • Fish Net
  • Small Shells
  • Felt
  • Candle

I followed her directions until I neared the top. The size and shape of the sand dollars made it a little tricky to build it up to make a spot for a candle the same way Emily did, so I improvised and added some fish net and a sprinkled a few smaller shells around the candle. 


Sand Dollar Candle Holder :Across the Blvd

I'm pretty pleased with the finished project. It looks great on my hutch that is home to my lighthouse collection.




Sand Dollar Candle Holder :Across the Blvd

This was such a great idea of a way to use some of the many shells I have just sitting in baskets and vases. 


Sand Dollar Candle Holder :Across the Blvd



Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

At March 8, 2015 at 3:14 AM , Blogger Laurie said...

Ohh, so pretty! What a great way to use your sand dollars. Not only did the fish net and smaller shells solve your problem, but they add even more interest. Nice job!

 
At March 8, 2015 at 12:03 PM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

Thanks! it was a fun little project. I wasn't sure if the net and shells looked quite right. It's nice to know you think that add interest to it! Thanks for that.

 
At March 8, 2015 at 12:35 PM , Blogger Jennifer Koshak said...

Love. My husband and I are always collecting shells and I've been trying to figure out what to do next. #inspiration!

 
At March 8, 2015 at 6:12 PM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

Thank you, Jennifer. I love finding new ways to use shells and was happy when I spotted Emily's post. I hope you enjoy making one, too.

 
At March 9, 2015 at 11:27 AM , Blogger Dee M said...

This is gorgeous, Beverly -- great job! Yet another reason to want to move near the beach! :) Isn't Hometalk great?!

 
At March 9, 2015 at 1:19 PM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

Thank you, Dee! I fully endorse living near the beach! Hometalk is great, yet! I get lost there for hours sometimes. There's so much to see and tons of great posts.

 
At March 11, 2015 at 8:53 PM , Anonymous Amy | Canary Street Crafts said...

I love Emily and I remember the exact post you're talking about. You did a fantastic job making your own candle holder. I love the shape of it and the little bit of netting your added. So pretty, Beverly!

 
At March 11, 2015 at 10:22 PM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

I was so happy to have seen Emily's post! Thank you so much, Amy. It was a fun project to put together and more practical than lots of my little projects,too!

 

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting! We'd love to hear from you.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.acrosstheblvd.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service