Thursday, March 5, 2015

Spring Wreath Using Burlap & Denim

Spring Wreath Using Burlap and Denim

I've been reworking some of my old wreaths and when I came across this burlap squares wreath, I thought it would be perfect to use for the March Craft Challenge that challenges crafters to make something using an old pair of jeans. The rosettes and the the little bird are made from old, worn out jeans. 

The wreath is made using a styrofoam wreath form as a base. I cut squares from two different shades of burlap. To make this, fold the square in half and then in half again. Pinch the bottom and hot glue it to the wreath form. I did the outer ring first with the light burlap and followed that with the darker shade. Prepare for a lot of shedding!

I made a simple bow from burlap ribbon and hot glued it in place. This wreath had some felt flowers on it and was looking fallish. I wanted to change that up so I removed those flowers and added blue accents.

The rosettes are made from old jeans. I made some of them by cutting a circle and then cutting a spiral from the circle. I used the twist and roll method for making these. 


The smaller one is made by cutting the the seam of the pants leg and using the thick, doubled fabric to twist and roll. I added a pearl head pin the center of them all.

Denim Rosettes

I added one burlap rosette and then used two squares of denim beneath that. 


I added the denim rosettes on top of and beneath the squares.

Denim Rosettes

I also added a rosette to the bow at the top of the wreath.

Denim Rosette

Now, I could have stopped there and called it done, but I had a couple more ideas of how to make this wreath spring worthy. 

I cut part of a empty wrapping paper roll to size and hot glued a piece of burlap around it. I painted wood letters to spell out "welcome spring" and glued "spring" to the roll. I decided not to use the welcome word on the wreath. It just didn't fit right. 


I glued this into the center of the wreath.

Spring Wreath Using Burlap and Denim

I wasn't quite finished. There was one more item that I wanted to make using the old denim. 

Denim Bird

I cut a template that resembled a bird from card stock and used that to cut the denim. I cut both a back and front for the bird. I cut the back pockets from the jeans and used that for the wings. 

I added cocktail skewers for the legs.  They are glued between the front and back of the body. 

I cut a small beak from yellow felt and used a button for the eye. Then I hot glued it all together and glued it to the wreath.

Denim Bird

I had fun coming up with a way to meet the denim challenge and I'm pretty happy with how my spring wreath turned out. 


Spring Wreath Using Burlap and Denim


Materials Used:
  • Styrofoam Wreath Form
  • Hot Glue
  • Burlap
  • Burlap Ribbon for bow
  • Old Pair of Jeans
  • Felt
  • Button
  • Cocktail Skewers
  • Wood Letters
  • Craft Paint
  • Wrapping Paper Roll
  • Pearl Head Pins
Spring Wreath Using Burlap and Denim

Isn't it fun to take something old and unused and turn it into something you love? 

Spring time is really trying to break through here. Now I have a fun wreath on the door to welcome its arrival. 

I'm sharing this on the Spring Craft Blog Hop and invite you to share your spring creations with us. 


SCBH

Sharing On~

March Craft Challenge
Freedom Fridays
What To Do Weekends
Funtastic Friday
#HomeMattersParty
Show Me Saturday
Snickerdoodle Sunday
Something To Talk About
Merry Monday
Treasure Box Tuesday
Totally Terrific Tuesday
Party in your PJs

~Featured On~

Love Bakes Good Cakes            2 Crochet Hooks


                               2 Bees in a Pod            The Cookie Puzzle

Labels: , , , , , ,

34 Comments:

At March 5, 2015 at 6:28 PM , Blogger Laurie said...

ooohhh! The denim and burlap go so well together! The flowers are fabulous, but my favorite part is the denim bird!! Such a cute way to welcome in Spring!

 
At March 5, 2015 at 7:35 PM , Blogger Julie's Lifestyle said...

I LOVE this spring wreath that you made. So pretty and just perfect. Thanks for sharing.
Julie

 
At March 5, 2015 at 7:51 PM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

I love the little bird, too. I'm not sure that there is a blue bird with a yellow beak, but I liked the pop of color! Thank you!

 
At March 5, 2015 at 7:52 PM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

Thanks so much, Julie! I had fun making it and I'm hoping that spring will be here soon.

 
At March 5, 2015 at 8:32 PM , Blogger ReDo It Yourself Inspirations said...

The bird is so cute and creative! Love the denim rosettes! Such a beautiful wreath, Beverly! Thank you for sharing it with us.
~ Robin

 
At March 5, 2015 at 8:56 PM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

Thank you, Robin. It was simple to put it together. I'm happy to share it on the Craft Challenge. Thank you for coming by.

 
At March 5, 2015 at 10:52 PM , Blogger Linda Bouffard said...

Spring inspiration! Thanks so much!! Linda @Crafts a la Mode

 
At March 5, 2015 at 11:08 PM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

I'm know everyone is so ready for spring! Thanks for coming by and for hosting What to do Weekends!

 
At March 6, 2015 at 9:42 PM , Blogger Stephanie Manning said...

I L-O-V-E it! I have a couple yards of burlap I bought a year again and have been waiting waiting to find something to use it on and this is perfect. The denim just adds to the charm! Thanks for sharing at the #HomeMattersParty! I hope to see you there next Friday with another awesome post! :)

 
At March 6, 2015 at 10:38 PM , Blogger Audra @ Renewed Projects said...

Beautiful denim rosettes!

 
At March 6, 2015 at 11:02 PM , Blogger Crochet Hooks said...

love the bird and rosettes! awesome wreath and fab upcycle!! Thanks for sharing with our Creative Challenge!

 
At March 7, 2015 at 10:35 AM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

Thank you so much, Stephanie! I'm happy to share at #HomeMattersParty. I'd love to see your wreath when you make it. Thank you for coming by.

 
At March 7, 2015 at 10:35 AM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

Thank you, Audra. They were easy to make, too!

 
At March 7, 2015 at 10:36 AM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

Thank you! The bird is my favorite part of the whole thing. Happy to share with Creative Challenge. Thanks for coming by!

 
At March 7, 2015 at 9:31 PM , Blogger Karen Roth said...

This is just too cute for words! I'm loving everything about this. May I ask you where you got the burlap? Everywhere I have been it is just too expensive.

 
At March 7, 2015 at 9:38 PM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

Thanks! I bought the burlap at JoAnn Fabric and Craft. It's been a while since I bought it though and I don't recall its price. But JoAnn's always has coupons that I use and can usually get good prices there.

 
At March 8, 2015 at 3:23 PM , Blogger Sarah Ramberg said...

Very, very pretty! Love that you shared this at Snickerdoodle Sunday- hope to see you again later this week when the next party opens!

Sarah (Sadie Seasongoods)

 
At March 8, 2015 at 6:40 PM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

Thanks so much, Sarah. I'm happy to share at Snickerdoodle Sunday. Thank you for coming by.

 
At March 10, 2015 at 6:36 AM , Blogger Ana Lopes said...

Wonderful spring wreath! The little bird and the flowers are adorable! I love demin projects. Thank you for sharing!
Hope you have a wonderful day!
Hugs and love from Portugal,
Ana Love Craft
www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

 
At March 10, 2015 at 11:03 AM , Anonymous Vicki and Jennifer 2 Bees in a Pod said...

This wreath is adorable!!! Love the denim and burlap. That little birdie puts it over the top! Super cute ladies!

 
At March 10, 2015 at 11:14 AM , Blogger Crochet Hooks said...

Congrats Beverly! This lovely spring wreath (and little bird) is our hostess favorite this week at the Creative Challenge! Hope you stop by for your special award! Thanks for linking with us!

 
At March 11, 2015 at 2:06 AM , Blogger USS Crafty said...

This wreath is sooooo cute! I love the denim bird and rosettes! Pinning!

Navy Wifey Peters @ The Submarine Sunday Link Party

 
At March 11, 2015 at 10:25 AM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

Thank you, Ana. It was fun to make. Hope you're having a wonderful day, as well. Thanks for stopping by!

 
At March 11, 2015 at 10:26 AM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

Thank you! The little bird is my favorite part. Thank you for coming by.

 
At March 11, 2015 at 10:26 AM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

Thank you! Glad you like it. Thanks, too for pinning!

 
At March 11, 2015 at 10:27 AM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

Oh wow, thanks so much! How fun! I'll be sure to stop by.

 
At March 11, 2015 at 2:58 PM , Blogger Anna said...

That's so pretty! I'm definitely going to turn my old jeans into flowers!

 
At March 11, 2015 at 5:04 PM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

Thank you, Anna. I hope you enjoy making them. They are really easy to make.

 
At March 14, 2015 at 11:06 AM , Blogger Sherry Nappa said...

This is an awesome wreath. It looks great! Thanks for linking up to Funtastic Friday and sharing with us. Hope to see you again this week.

 
At March 15, 2015 at 10:33 AM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

Thank you, Sherry. Happy to share on Funtastic Friday. I'm glad I found your party! Thanks for coming by!

 
At March 15, 2015 at 10:23 PM , Blogger Suzie Jackson said...

Amazing and I love it!

 
At March 16, 2015 at 9:13 AM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

Thank you very much, Suzie!

 
At March 18, 2015 at 10:01 AM , Blogger alison said...

So cute! Love the denim roses.

 
At March 18, 2015 at 10:32 AM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

Hi Alison, thank you! Those roses are so easy to make!

 

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting! We'd love to hear from you.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.acrosstheblvd.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service