Monday, March 2, 2015

Styling A Mantel With Coastal Decor

Coastal Mantel

From North of the Boulevard~

With the dark colors of winter now in the rear view, it's time to bring some lighter decor pieces to my mantel. Whenever it's an in between holidays time, my typical mantel and fireplace decor always goes back to a coastal feel. Using a combination of elements, I turn the space into something light and beachy.

I love that I can change up the look of my mantel using several of the same pieces for various styles. The large and small lanterns can transform to fit the color scheme I want just by changing out the ribbon used on them. For a coastal look, I tied a few pieces of raffia onto them. I added in a coral colored shell to match the coral candles next to it. 

Coastal Mantel

Some larger shells are propped against the wall, giving some height and balance.

Coastal Mantel

I'm all about symmetry when it comes to my mantel decor. Well, actually when it comes to all of my decor I'm that way.  I can spend an entire afternoon rearranging items in my china cabinets to look just right. I know there are those who don't care for the matchy-matchy look, but I'm not one of those people! That's why both ends of the mantel are decorated with the same items, using the same placement. I like the balance. It works for me, so I'm happy with it. I'll leave the asymmetrical look to others.  

I found these pieces at Kirkland's a couple of years ago. I'm using two of them on the mantel. The other is in my coastal half bath that we gave a makeover to last summer. The only way I would like these more would be if the two smaller ones were the exact same height. But, I'm being flexible and using them on the mantel anyway!


Coastal Mantel

The sail boat is a fun little piece that fits in nicely as a center point for the mantel. I picked this up at a shop in downtown Charleston several years ago. 


Coastal Mantel

The glass ornaments are ones that I made to go along with a coastal cone tree last Christmas. They are sitting on a glass candle holder with a twine bow wrapped around the base.
Coastal Mantel

Above the mantel, on the mirror, I reworked a wreath that I made last fall. By reworked, I mean I removed some blue flowers and added a sand dollar to it. Easy!


Coastal Mantel

For the fire place, I kept the wire basket that I use throughout the year and filled it with large shells. The burlap bow keeps finding its way into my fireplace decor, along with two groups of three candles. Yes, more symmetry! 

Coastal Fireplace Decor

One other coastal touch I've done next to the mantel are on the curtain tie backs. Shells fit perfectly over the wall hooks.

sea shell curtain tie back

It all comes together for a light, coastal feel in our family room. 

Coastal Mantel


Coastal Mantel

I enjoy changing the mantel decor pretty often. This room doesn't lend itself to rearranging furniture to get a different look, so I get different looks through my mantel and coffee table decor. 

How often do you change your mantel decor? Do you prefer symmetrical or asymmetrical decor designs?

Labels: , , ,

14 Comments:

At March 2, 2015 at 10:49 AM , Blogger Laurie said...

Aw, very nice Beverly! I like all the pieces you used, especially the sail boat! Makes me long for a visit to the coast!

I consider myself more symmertrical as it would drive my very symmertrical husband crazy if it were too asymmertrical! My mantel changes with some holidays, otherwise, I keep it pretty simple (easier to dust that way!) lol Have a great week Beverly!

 
At March 2, 2015 at 11:13 AM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

Thanks, Laurie! I love that little sail boat, too! You have a point about a simple one being easy to dust. Hope your week is wonderful.

 
At March 2, 2015 at 7:02 PM , Blogger Paula@SweetPea said...

Seeing coastal decor makes me believe that this winter is almost over and that spring will be here soon!

 
At March 2, 2015 at 8:55 PM , Blogger Julie's Lifestyle said...

Hi Beverly, it's so pretty your mantel and I love the shells and sand. It's so nice to meet you and thanks for following my blog Julie's Lifestyle from the March Blog Hob Nob. I am now following you on Bloglovin. I love reading new blog too.
Julie @ Julie's Lifestyle

 
At March 2, 2015 at 10:40 PM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

Surely it will be over soon! I'm lucky to live in an area that has mild winters, but I'm still ready for spring to arrive here. Thanks for stopping by.

 
At March 2, 2015 at 10:41 PM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

Thank you, Julie! It's nice to meet you as well. Happy to have connected through the Blog Hob Nob. Thanks so much for coming by. Thanks, too for the Bloglovin' follow.

 
At March 3, 2015 at 11:27 AM , Blogger Christine B said...

Hi Beverly, your mantle is absolutely beautiful! Love, love, love the seahorse and all the shells! It definitely brightened my day! xo Christine

 
At March 3, 2015 at 1:02 PM , Blogger Laurie said...

Beverly, Thank you so much for linking up your beautiful coastal mantel to VMG's Brag About It link party!

 
At March 4, 2015 at 8:44 PM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

Thank you, Christine I'm happy to know it brightened your day! Thanks so much for coming by.

 
At March 4, 2015 at 8:45 PM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

Happy to link up, Laurie! It's always a great party!

 
At March 7, 2015 at 12:04 PM , Anonymous Vick and Jennifer 2 Bees in a Pod said...

Hey beverly - love your coastal inspired mantle. Makes us dream of warmer days with our toes in the sand! Thank you so much for sharing at Something To Talk About Link Party!!

 
At March 7, 2015 at 3:27 PM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

Thanks so much! I keep looking at it and wishing for those warm days, too. I'm happy to share at Something To Talk About. It's a great party. Thank you very much for coming by.

 
At March 8, 2015 at 6:07 PM , Blogger Erlene A said...

Very pretty. I love all the shells sprinkled around the mantel. Reminds me of being at home in Hawaii.

 
At March 8, 2015 at 6:41 PM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

Thank you, Erlene. I love having shells in lots of places around my home. "Home in Hawaii" sounds like great memories. Thanks for coming by!

 

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting! We'd love to hear from you.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.acrosstheblvd.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service