Tuesday, April 7, 2015

April Craft Challenge Post~Brown Paper Bag Gift Bags


From North of the Boulevard~

When I saw that this month's  Craft Challenge was paper bags, I knew just what I wanted to make. At some point in time we bought the Costco size package of paper bags. I don't remember why, but years later, we still have tons of them. Putting some of them to use as gift bags seems like a good idea! This is an easy little project that anyone with a few craft supplies can do in a few minutes.

Materials Used:
  • Paper Bag
  • Paper Cutter
  • Decorative hole punch
  • Rick Rack
  • Ribbon
  • Hot Glue
  • Card Stock
  • Label
  • Thread


I began by cutting the top portion from the bag to make it a straight across the top.


Next, I scored the bag a few inches down for the fold.


With the top of the bag folded, I used a decorative hole punch all the way across the fold.

Brown Paper Bag Gift Bag

I hot glued a strip of rick rack onto the bag.

Brown Paper Bag Gift Bag

I had this bow that came in a flower arrangement in my craft supply closet because you just never know when things like this will come in handy!  I pulled it apart and used it to make a ribbon flower.


I used the twist and roll method to make the flower, adding tiny drops of hot glue along the way. I also cut a circle of card stock and used that for a backing before gluing it onto the bag.

Ribbon Flower

I have a few of these labels on hand that I used for a gift tag. I ran a piece of thread through the little hole in the tag and then through one of the holes from the hole punch and tied it off into a bow.

Brown Paper Bag Gift Bag

While a paper bag isn't sturdy enough to hold a heavy gift, there are lots of items it could easily hold. I cut a piece of card stock to fit inside the bottom of the bag to make it a little sturdier. Since I backed the flower with card stock, it can be pulled off the bag and used another time.

Brown Paper Bag Gift Bag

That's one less plain paper bag I have in the big bag stash. Now, I'm trying to think of other ways to use more of them.

Sharing On~

April Craft Challenge

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At April 7, 2015 at 8:33 PM , Blogger Crochet Hooks said...

wow this gift bag is so lovely! who would guess it started as a plain old brown bag? You don't even have to add anything, the bag itself is a lovely gift! Thanks for sharing with us at the creative challenge!

 
At April 7, 2015 at 11:05 PM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

Thanks so much! It was such a simple little thing to put together, but I was happy with how it turned out. Happy to share. Thanks for visiting!

 
At April 8, 2015 at 2:39 AM , Blogger Laurie said...

My family often uses brown bags for gifts - but they are never as lovely as yours :) Nice job!

 
At April 8, 2015 at 10:40 AM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

Thanks! I've never thought of doing this until I saw the craft challenge for the month.

 
At April 17, 2015 at 3:45 PM , Blogger Darlene Nemeth said...

What a nice way to personalize gift wrapping. Love it. Pinning. Thanks for sharing. Best wishes, Darlene

 
At April 17, 2015 at 9:51 PM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

Thank you, Darlene. There are lots of variations that could be done to it for more personalized touches, too. Thanks for pinning and for stopping by.

 

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting! We'd love to hear from you.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.acrosstheblvd.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service