Friday, April 17, 2015

One Good Thing Week Twelve


Welcome to week number twelve in our One Good Thing Series. Each Friday, we will be choosing one good thing from the week prior to highlight.  While lots of good things can be found throughout the week, this is a place to spotlight one in particular. It might be something as simple as a great meal we had or a blog post that inspired us. It could be something awesome that that happened in our lives or in the world around us. It might be something related to our blog. Some will be from Gloria and some from Beverly.  They will all be short snippets of what made us stop and think "Well, that was a good thing!"

We would love to have others share their own One Good Thing.


From South of the Boulevard~ Gloria

My mom's post last Friday alluded to what our community has been dealing with this week. What wasn't mentioned yet was how closely I am involved in the events. National news crews have been parked along side my car everyday when I go to work, my office building has been the site of dozens of press conferences and rallies. My co-workers have been followed by the media and people I care a lot about have been deeply wounded and I've watched as they nearly cried on national TV.

I don't want to get into the politics of it all and so far this post seems pretty negative for a "One Good Thing" post, but I promise there is some good! Inside my building, in my little office, I work for the police, fire and ems chaplains. We have been working around the clock serving those in our community affected by recent events.

I made a point last week to try and be bright in the midst of such darkness. I knew that if someone could be a positive light then the darkness might fade away. This week, tensions have eased and people are starting to look up again. They smile again in the hallway to say hi and they ask "how are you" in a genuine way that maybe just wasn't there before and for that, I am thankful. While thinking of "One Good Thing" this week, I challenge you to encourage someone this week. 

Also, on a somewhat related note, it is National Public Safety Telecommunicators Week. Please keep those who serve as 911 dispatchers in your thoughts

If you would like to learn more about what I do when I'm not blogging or hanging out at 'North of the Blvd' please visit Coastal Crisis Chaplaincy.

We would love to have you comment and share your One Good Thing from the week. Feel free to add a link to something awesome if you would like. 

Have a wonderful weekend. 

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At April 18, 2015 at 12:23 AM , Blogger Laurie said...

Great Post Gloria! It is encouraging just to hear that tensions are easing after a very difficult situation. I imagine that it wasn't easy to try to bring brightness into work with you every day. Thank you for sharing the link about the Coastal Crisis Chaplaincy and for the work that you are involved in to support the first responders and others in need.

My one good thing this week is almost silly in comparison, but I'll share it anyway. This is the beginning of a very busy time for me at work. Sping and Summer months are the busiest times for us and some long hours are sometimes needed. I came home late one evening and because my husband has also been putting in some long hours this week, I took over dinner duty and made a homemade pizza that my boys requested. I completely forgot to turn on the timer and started helping my youngest son with his homework. You can guess where this is leading . . .yup - I totally overcooked the pizza. So how is this a good thing? My boys ate every bite of that pizza without complaint and not only that, but my youngest thanked me for making his favorite. After the kids went to bed, I sat there and just smiled as I remembered the look of horror on their faces when I pulled that pizza out of the oven, and how they quickly masked it and pretended that it was the best dinner they had all week.

 
At April 18, 2015 at 12:24 PM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

It's great to have some humor here! What a great thing for your boys to have done. Gloria was always so polite about my cooking fails. We have a long standing understanding. If she said, "that was great," She meant she really enjoyed it. If she said, "Thanks for cooking," it meant she appreciated the effort, but not so much the result!

I hope you have a great, restful weekend!

 
At April 18, 2015 at 10:25 PM , Blogger Laurie said...

lol, That is great! My boys usually tell me like it is, but I guess they somehow knew better this time! Enjoying time at home this weekend. Hope your weekend is wonderful too!

 

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting! We'd love to hear from you.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.acrosstheblvd.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service