Thursday, April 16, 2015

Peach Cobbler~ A Southern Classic Made Easy

Peach Cobbler

From North of the Boulevard~

Peach Cobbler is one of my all time favorite desserts. If I don't choose a chocolate treat, then chances are I'll choose peach cobbler.  It's sweet and gooey and served warm right out of the oven, it's hard to beat for a classic southern comfort food. 

Peach Cobbler is a staple in just about every southern kitchen. It's one of those foods that reminds me of growing up with a wonderful cook for a mother. She credits her skills from all the things she learned from my grandmother, her mother in law, not her own mother. For that, we were all thankful! One of my grandmothers was an excellent cook, the other one, ummm, not so much. 

I've taken my grandmother's recipe for peach cobbler and used a short cut. I substitute the fresh peaches with canned peaches. Now, that's not something either my mother or my grandmother would have done,  but it works for me and it still has a wonderful taste. Plus, you can enjoy it year round, not just during peach season.

PRINTABLE RECIPE FOR PEACH COBBLER

Ingredients:
  • 2 15 oz cans of sliced peaches in heavy syrup
  • 1 cup of milk (whole milk is best)
  • 1 cup of sugar
  • 1 cup of self rising flour
  • 1 stick of butter
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 350
  • Place butter in 9 X 13 baking dish
  • Place dish in oven until butter is melted
  • Remove dish from oven
  • Combine sugar, milk and flour in large mixing bowl, stir
  • Drain one can of peaches and add syrup to the sugar/flour mixture, stir
  • Slowly pour mixture over butter
  • Drain the other can of peaches and save the syrup
  • Spoon the peaches from both cans onto the mixture, but don't stir
  • Slowly, pour juice from the second can of peaches over the top
  • Sprinkle with cinnamon
  • Bake for one hour or until top is golden
Using canned peaches cuts out the time it takes to peel, slice and cook fresh peaches. I'm all for time saving cooking methods if I still get the taste I want. 


This is often served with  a dollop of whipped cream or vanilla bean ice cream, but it's wonderful without any additional topping. 


Peach Cobbler

It's a dish full of deliciousness!

Peach Cobbler


Peach Cobbler

Sharing On~

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

At April 17, 2015 at 7:23 PM , Blogger Jennifer Fenton said...

Girl…you are speaking our Southern language! Your recipe looks so delicious. Being that we hail from the peach state we are excited to try this recipe!

Vicki and Jennifer
2 Bees in a Pod

 
At April 17, 2015 at 9:52 PM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

I'm originally from the Peach State, so I grew up with lots of fresh peaches, but this is lots easier and still just as tasty! Thanks for visiting!

 
At April 18, 2015 at 12:28 AM , Blogger Laurie said...

I love anything with peaches! Pinning to add to my list of goodies to try! Thanks for sharing Beverly!

 
At April 18, 2015 at 12:19 PM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

I hope you try it and love it! Thanks, Laurie.

 
At April 21, 2015 at 1:29 PM , Blogger Theresa Begin said...

This looks so yummy! Pinning to try! Thanks for sharing with us @ WTDW's!
Theresa

 
At April 21, 2015 at 8:53 PM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

Thank you, Theresa. Thanks for the pin, too! It's a super easy dessert to make.

 
At April 23, 2015 at 2:35 AM , Blogger Dee M said...

I love peaches, and this looks amazing! Thanks for sharing. :)

 

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting! We'd love to hear from you.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.acrosstheblvd.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service