Sunday, April 12, 2015

Side Table With Chalk Paint Pattern

CHALK PAINTED STENCIL ON SIDE TABLE: ACROSS THE BLVD

From North of the Boulevard~

I am bringing up the rear on the chalk painted furniture train! I admire so many wonderful chalk paint pieces of furniture, but I've been  reluctant to try the techniques I've seen used. I decided to start small-really small-and add a chalk paint stenciled pattern to an old side table. One day, I'm going to take the plunge and paint an entire piece of furniture with chalk paint. Today, though, wasn't that day. 

Materials Used:
  • Latex Paint, green and white
  • Sealer
  • Plaster of Paris
  • Water
  • Stencil
  • Paint Brushes
Using a stencil is such an easy way to give a fun look to a small, simple piece of furniture like this one. 

I don't recall where or when I got this little table. It's been moved from room to room and repainted numerous times over the years. Most recently it was pistachio green.  I wanted to lighten it up and use it in a guest room that has soft green, blue and peach colors. 

I repainted it using some leftover paint I have from my coastal powder room makeover. The color is called Pale Pasture from Valspar.

Once the paint was dry, I taped a stencil to the middle of the tabletop. 

Side Table With Chalk Painted Stencil Pattern

To paint this, I used a recipe for DIY chalk paint I found on 2 Bees in a Pod. Jennifer and Vicki have some beautiful pieces of furniture they have restored and painted with their home made chalk paint. Plus, their tutorials make it sound very doable. I purchased some Plaster of Paris and mixed it with some leftover white latex paint. It mixed well and was easy to apply. I will definitely be using their recipe when I take the plunge and decide to paint an entire piece with it. 

For today though, this small project was the right one for me. 

Side Table With Chalk Painted Stencil Pattern

I made sure the first coat was dry and then applied a second one. Once that was dry, I carefully removed the stencil and I was happy with what I saw. 

Side Table With Chalk Painted Stencil Pattern

Since this table isn't going to see much use, I just used a spray polycrylic sealer over the stenciled pattern.

          Side Table With Chalk Painted Stencil Pattern

The Palmetto Roses in a DIY vase, a trinket dish and a couple of rattan fans go well with the table and other decor in the room. It now has a home in one of our guest rooms. 


STENCILED TABLE WITH CHALK PAINT




STENCILED TABLE WITH CHALK PAINT


STENCILED TABLE WITH CHALK PAINT

CHALK PAINTED STENCIL ON SIDE TABLE


After making the DIY chalk paint and using it, even on such a small scale, I am more confident going forward that I can do  an entire piece. Now, I've just got to decide what my first chalk paint furniture piece is going to be. I think a trip to the thrift store is on my agenda. 

Sharing On~










Wildly Original

Party In Your PJs

Idea Box

Freedom Fridays


~Featured On~

Grab button for Meatloaf and Melodrama                                                  Yesterfood

bumblebreeblog


Labels: , ,

30 Comments:

At April 12, 2015 at 12:28 PM , Blogger Laurie said...

The table turned out beautiful! Love the stencil pattern that you used. I'm in the caboose with you on the chalk paint train. I've been thinking about trying it out too. I'll have to check out that chalk paint recipe! Thanks for sharing!

 
At April 12, 2015 at 3:03 PM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

Thank you! I'm pretty happy with it. Yes, do check out their recipe. It works great and it's a fraction of the cost of buying it!

 
At April 13, 2015 at 12:58 PM , Blogger Brittany Bush said...

I love how it turned out! Thanks for sharing at the #HomeMattersParty :)

 
At April 13, 2015 at 7:53 PM , Blogger Jennifer Fenton said...

YAY! We are so excited that you took the plunge to chalk paint - and flattered that you used our recipe. So glad it turned out - your stenciled table is beautiful! Can't wait to see what you paint next :)

Vicki and Jennifer - 2 Bees in a Pod

 
At April 13, 2015 at 9:14 PM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

Thank you, Brittany. I'm happy to share at #HomeMattersParty. Thanks for stopping by!

 
At April 13, 2015 at 9:18 PM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

Hi Jennifer, thank you! I was so pleased with how great your DIY chalk paint recipe is. You ladies are awesome for sharing your recipe! I'm excited to try it out on a larger piece. Thanks so much for visiting.

 
At April 13, 2015 at 9:55 PM , Anonymous Mary said...

Oh I'm so glad you posted this. I just completed and posted about using chalk paint for the first time. I too will do it again. The table is precious. Well don

 
At April 13, 2015 at 10:07 PM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

Thanks! I was very happy with it. I'm off to check out your project. Thanks for visiting!

 
At April 14, 2015 at 11:03 AM , Blogger Joy said...

Beverly, this is really beautiful- you did a fantastic job on it. I want to paint and stencil ALL of my furniture today. Oh, dear, now look what you've done! Ha! I love that you included the chalk paint recipe- thank you! :) And thank you for sharing this with us at Treasure Box Tuesday- pinned!

 
At April 14, 2015 at 2:56 PM , Blogger Michelle James said...

This turned out really nice. My paint always gets under the stencil and looks all weird. You did an awsome job.

 
At April 14, 2015 at 2:56 PM , Blogger Michelle James said...

This turned out really nice. My paint always gets under the stencil and looks all weird. You did an awsome job.

 
At April 14, 2015 at 4:08 PM , Blogger Bernadyn Nettles said...

So pretty, adds such a nice touch! Pinned and scheduled to share on my blog's FB page tonight :)

 
At April 14, 2015 at 6:40 PM , Blogger Julia Nyanyo said...

I love the little stencil pattern, just gives this little table a lift.

 
At April 14, 2015 at 8:36 PM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

Thank you so much, Joy! I've been eyeing lots of mine, too! Vicki and Jennifer have some amazing projects using their homemade chalk paint, so I wanted to be sure to give them credit and send people their way. Happy to share at Treasure Box!

 
At April 14, 2015 at 8:37 PM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

Thanks, Michelle. I was worried that would happen with this, but I tried to make sure I had it taped tightly and brushed in instead of out. Thanks so much for stopping by!

 
At April 14, 2015 at 8:38 PM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

Thanks, Bernadyn! And thanks so much for sharing it.

 
At April 14, 2015 at 8:39 PM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

Thank you! That's just what I was hoping for. Thanks for stopping by, Julia.

 
At April 15, 2015 at 12:21 AM , Blogger Laurie said...

Beverly, Thanks for linking up your cute little stencil table and sharing it at the Brag About It link party this week!
~Laurie

 
At April 15, 2015 at 10:39 PM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

I'm always happy to link up at Brag About It!

 
At April 16, 2015 at 1:30 PM , Blogger Kathleen Berlew said...

So pretty. I love the subtle contrast.

 
At April 17, 2015 at 1:44 PM , Blogger Danielle Siero said...

Super cute, love how it turned out! Thanks so much for linking up with Idea Box!

 
At April 17, 2015 at 9:48 PM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

Thanks so much, Kathleen.

 
At April 17, 2015 at 9:49 PM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

Thanks, Danielle! Happy to share at Idea Box.

 
At April 18, 2015 at 2:49 AM , Blogger Dee M said...

I love it, Beverly, and it's one of my features at Snickerdoodle! :)

 
At April 18, 2015 at 12:26 PM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

Oh wow! Thanks so much, Dee!

 
At April 18, 2015 at 8:32 PM , Blogger Joy Mooiweer said...

This is so pretty! Thanks for sharing at What'd You Do This Weekend? I hope you will join us again this Monday morning!

 
At April 18, 2015 at 10:16 PM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

Thank you, Joy. I was happy to share! See you Monday!

 
At April 20, 2015 at 1:44 PM , Blogger Joy said...

Beverly, I am excited to tell you that your lovely table is being featured this evening at Treasure Box Tuesday as one of my features! Congratulations, and thank you for partying with us! ā™„

 
At April 20, 2015 at 6:42 PM , Blogger Beverly Roderick said...

Oh! I'm so excited! thank you, Joy! I'm delighted that you like it.

 
At April 23, 2015 at 10:20 AM , Blogger Christie Selken said...

I love what you did with this...it looks great! :)

 

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting! We'd love to hear from you.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.acrosstheblvd.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service